Sunday, February 11, 2007

Movie: Just Like Heaven

The theme of this blog is, "I have to tell you." Usually that means I'm going to write about something I support. Well, today I'm going to put the whites in the color pile and mix things up a bit. Here is something I am not supporting.

Just Like Heaven.
I am not supporting this movie. It was trite, contrived, and glossy. Of course, I knew that going in. But here's a little fact you may not know. Movie producers in Hollywood have meetings once a month where they discuss my lack of will power when it comes to big-budget blondes who learn a lesson about love in the end. And then they invest millions of dollars into witty previews that I get to download in high-bandwidth formats on apple.com and feel compelled to add to my Queue. So, I caved.

The movie was so bad that I'm going to go even further off topic. I like the word Queue, and the way it's become a casual new addition to our lexicon. Here's how it works: A friend mentions a movie they saw. I tell them I haven't seen it. They say flippantly, "Oh, add it to your Queue." And right away, with one word, I know that they are referring to Netflix, and their assumption that I have already taken the time to register with that company, provide my email address, mail address, and a user name of my choice. And with that, comes a Queue that I have the ability to add to, delete from, edit, rearrange and divide into sub-categories.

This is a phenomenal word, and if not just for the fact that it employs u-e-u-e in it's spelling, I think it deserves higher accolades. I think it's time to push the envelope with Queues. I want to take personal responsibilty for expanding it's girth in conversation usage. I want a Queue for things I need to buy at the hardware store, and for people I should have called back last week. I want a Queue for things in life that I need to be more well-versed in, so that I can participate in conversations that I can schedule to arrive in my life in 3-5 days, depending on the Christmas rush.

"Have you heard about Putin's criticism of U.S. Power?"

"No, I haven't."

"Oh, it's quite aggressive. You should add it to your Queue."

"Cool, I'll do that. I have Congress curbing lobbyists right now, but I'm usually too tired at night to get into it."

"Yeah, that one is a bit overdone. But the bloopers are hilarious."

No comments: