Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Book: Committed: Men Tell Stories of Love, Commitment, and Marriage

What a funny idea for a book. And what a great idea for a book cover. However...

Reading "Committed" takes a bit of a commitment in itself, because the stories don't always live up to the cute concept of the collection. But I was curious, so I kept reading, hoping for some revealing truths regarding the male psyche. Hmm, I don't know if I learned anything that I didn't already know. (Men like beauty, stunning beauty. Men like the chase. Men like chasing stunning beauty.)

OK, so maybe I'm oversimplifying things. There are some good writers in here. Some boring ones. Some clever ones. One famous one (David Sedaris). I'm sure everyone who was asked to submit was very happy to do so. I stretched it out and read it in about a week, but found myself skipping a few stories here and there.

I have to tell you, if you like short stories, around a common theme, and have once or twice in your life wondered about the analogy between "men" and "commitment", then perhaps, this one's for you.

No comments: