Sunday, January 28, 2007

Music: John Mayer - "Gravity"

I'm not a musician, but I imagine if I were, the feeling of being on stage each night would be similar to drawing the same image over and over, and over.

Visual artists don't really do that, draw the same thing repeatedly, unless maybe you're a cartoonist. Fans of a visual artist don't stand behind them at their canvas, and watch them create. You don't hear someone whispering, "Oh, I know that brush stroke! She's going to do Still Life with Urn!" An artist doesn't spend all night working on a canvas and then go to bed wondering what the next canvas will look like with the same exact image on it (unless maybe you're Andy Warhol, but even still, silk screening was a form of mass production, not re-creation).

Artists don't go on tour. But their art does, and it's always the same piece, traveling from one wall to another. But it's not repainted in each city it visits. It's just not the way of the art form. But I have experimented with that idea before. In college we had to pick an object, and draw it 100 times. Each time we drew it, we had to rediscover the object. We had to find it in a new light, and paint it with new momentum. I never got bored, never felt uninspired by the object, even though I stared at nothing else for a week.

Each time I drew it, it was different. I came to expect the unexpected. I would conjure up the feeling that this was the first time the image had ever appeared on a page, even though I already knew it's lines by heart.

I imagine, to some extent, to some minor extent, that's what it feels like for a musician every time they get up on stage and play the same song, for the 100th time. It's not about repetition, it's about discovering a new way to see the light. It's about vibration and pattern. I imagine.

John Mayer is touring the country now, and last night in Florida, he played "Gravity" for the 100th time. Here's how this version came out.

Press play. Provide your own goosebumps.

No comments: