Sunday, January 21, 2007

Music: Corrine Bailey Rae

The new beautiful sound on the block can be found in the debut album of Corinne Bailey Rae. The album successfully balances soulful melody with shoulder shaking groove. Who would think that the way to enrapture an audience at first sound is with the quietest song on the album as your opening track. But that's what she does with "Just Like A Star", and enrapture is just what happens.

I hadn't heard of her at all until he blogged about it. Then the next day she swept up all the Grammy nominations one could hope for without anyone knowing your name. I'll make a photo-op prediction here: She could pull a Norah Jones circa 2003 come this February.

I have to tell you, this is a delightful, emotional, uplifting collection of songs from the British Ms. Rae. It's easy to memorize the words to "Put Your Records On" (which you will want to do as soon as you hear it, so you too can sing, "Summer comes like cinnamon, so sweeeet..."). In the past few weeks, after any meaningful conversation I've had with someone, I press the PLAY button on my stereo, and miraculously her songs fill the space with the perfect soundtrack.

All smiles. I recommend this.

No comments: