Saturday, April 07, 2007

Music: Lily Allen

Lily Allen would not have played with me in the school yard, I'm bold enough to predict. She was probably the girl pummeling the boys in dodge ball while I hid in the corner. That is, if she decided to show up to school that day. Or managed to put down her cigarette for a moment.

But we're older now. And wiser. So we can all be friends again. And I think it's safe to say I've listened to this new album, Alright, Still, by this British hip hop star about 100 times in a row. Give or take a dozen.

This album utterly rocks. It's a dance party in my car every time I play it. I first learned about Lily during her premiere performance on Saturday Night Live. And as I listened, transfixed, I thought, "Who is this girl?"

She looks about 16, but sings like she'll kick your ass for saying that. She's pissed off at men, but takes them home nonetheless. She sings like she's whispering a lullaby, but her lyrics are raunchy as hell. She wears puffy school girl dresses, with sneakers. She's worth buying a plane ticket to London for just to see her perform.

Just go, go, go get this album. You cannot, I repeat, cannot, not trust me on this one.

No comments: