Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Movies: Quick Reviews

** The Kite Runner
I liked this in the beginning. Then I fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up it was still playing so I started watching it again. That was kind of cool, the end of the movie. But mostly, I didn't really think it was that great. And no, I did not read the book. But I'm told it kind of flows the same way. Did you hear that the kid who stars in the movie had to leave his country after he made it?

***** Sex and the City
I dove into this movie like a kid on a roller coaster. I knew it would go up, down, and round and round. I knew how I would feel the whole time. But I paid my entrance fee and begged for a ride. And I got my ride. I loved, loved, loved this movie. I agree with what Oprah said. If you like the TV series, then this movie will give you everything you want.

**** Ira & Abby
Neurotic new york love is not uncomical, proves this little movie. I'm head over heels for this actress anyway, so I'd see anything she did/wrote/produced. It's an innocent, funny, happy film.

**** Lars and The Real Girl
Brilliance. I'd see it again. You should see it, if you haven't. Gosling puts the HIT in the SHIT.

***** Once
Brilliance. I can't sit through it again. Too emotional. It is LOVE at volume 10. You should see it, if you haven't.

***** The Savages
Brilliance. Everyone said this movie was depressing. I thought it was uplifting. I loved every second of it. I loved the characters, and the dialogue, and the context, and the catastrophe, and the drama, and the softness of the whole film. It looked and sounded beautiful. But it's not for everyone.

No comments: