Sunday, September 07, 2008

COOKED: No-wheat Chocolate Chip cookies

I made these!

RECIPE: Veganomicon, page 237


A few notes:


1. Instead of wheat flour, you use oat flour. I still had some left over from the veggie-burger fiesta.

2. I was sans brown-sugar, and it called for a quarter cup of that, in addition to regular granulated sugar (half cup). So I substituted the brown sugar with Agave. Somewhere online I read that if you use Agave instead of sugar, you should add a quarter cup extra of flour because Agave is liquid. So I did that.

3. Mom, you gave me the extra sifter you had in the house. But it was so annoying to use! Is it just the way sifters are, or is this one outdated? I poured all of the flour (plus baking powder and salt) into it at once and started sifting. But in a minute, my hand started hurting, and no flour was coming out of the bottom of the sifter. So I started hitting it against the side like I remember you doing, but it just felt awkward. Eventually, I poured it out and started putting the flour back in the sifter in much smaller portions. I had to keep shaking it and hitting it in order for it come out. Am I not getting something about sifters? (feel free to leave a comment if you know the answer).

4. It seems to be a trend for me that anything I cook will always be more liquidy than expected. It was probably because of the Agave. So when I used a tablespoon to glop out the cookie portions on the tray, it spread a little wider than I think it was supposed to.

5. The recipe called for flax seeds. Which I have. But today I learned that flax seeds are worthless unless you grind them up. And I don't have a coffee grinder, which most people say they use for this purpose. And I didn't feel like the food processor would be that economical for just a tablespoon of ground flax seeds. So I left it out of the recipe this time. I will buy pre-ground flax seed powder at the supermarket. And give this bag to Dad, who does have a grinder, and will be happy to add these to his smoothies.

END RESULT: I think they're pretty good! I might have let them bake too long. They turned out pretty flat, not moist and fluffy. I don't know what was supposed to happen, really. But I'll bring them to work tomorrow and see what people say.

No comments: