Monday, September 08, 2008

COOKED: Tomato Basil Cream Pasta

Thanks to a beautiful photograph of her Tomato Basil Cream Pasta over at Vegan Yum Yum, I was inspired to make this delicious dish for dinner tonight.

But the reason I was most excited about it was because it was going to be the first time I would use my new food processor!

Kitten kept me company by lying on top of my to-do list, as I researched all the ingredients I would need.

Do you know how crazy the Internet is? One part of the recipe called for "coring the tomato". Huh? I didn't know what that meant. So I just googled it, and within seconds I came across a guy's website where he had an actual video of himself coring a tomato, explaining how to do it. Guess what? Not hard at all. Guess what? If I was Laura Ingalls, living in Prairie days, and I didn't know how to core a tomato, I'd have to run 3 miles over to Nellie Olsen's house, and see if Mrs. Olsen could give me a quick lesson in her kitchen. And then run all the way home so as to get supper ready in time before Pa came home from the Mill. I am so glad I don't live in Prairie days!

So the recipe title for this dish actually included the phrase, "Super Quick". Ha. Yeah, maybe not so much. But it was still really fun to make. It probably took an hour.

And Mom, the FP worked great! I even shot a video of it so you could enjoy the fruits of our labor...


What did I mix up in there?? Hmm, 1 large tomato, cashews, a little water, tomato paste. It worked so well and I was so excited! Later on, the recipe says to add a handful of chopped basil. Well, no problem! I just traded out the big bowl for the little bowl with the little blade, and chopped that basil right up in no time. I'm so glad we chose the FP with all the extra bowls, it was such a time saver, because I kept exchanging one for the other.

Final product


So, the dish turned out utterly delightful. I even decided to make steamed greens with sauteed almonds (a la Mom), which were perfect.



Now, if only someone could help me with the last task!


No comments: