Saturday, September 16, 2006

Movie: The Last Kiss

It was a sunny day today, the first we've had in a while. Everyone was walking around the park and enjoying the sidewalk-sale shopping experience my town was hosting.

I pushed through the crowds and headed straight to the movie theater at the end of the block to see the first screening of Zach Braff's new movie: The Last Kiss. Apparently, I was the only soul willing to give up the sun. Ahh, what a girl will do for art.

I.LOVED.THIS.MOVIE.

I was sucked in immediately. I over-identified with each character in some way. Either I was looking at me, or someone I knew, or someone I was afraid of becoming, or someone I wanted to meet, or someone I was, or someone who someone I knew used to be.

With this movie, I didn't really care "what it was about." I didn't worry too much about how it would end, or what would happen next. There were too many subtleties, too many all-knowing looks the character shared with one another. Too many "in the moment" moments happening to the characters. This was not an "end result" type of movie, if you know what I mean. I felt utterly absorbed in their experience. A movie that allows you to do that, in my opinion, is what makes a movie GOOD.

The music was beautiful. I only wish it had carried itself through the story more. At times I felt it was a little too obvious a statement of, "Listen to this cool song" and stayed separate from the story line. For some reason, Garden State had the opposite affect. But regardless, I loved the songs. I already owned most of them anyway because of blog recommendations.

My god. I walked out of the theater with a dazed look on my face. I called up my friend, and said, "You need to go see this movie. HOLY S---."

I will see it again. This time in the experience of a packed theater.

I have to tell you, I loved it.
Loved it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok ok - i'll go