Friday, September 08, 2006

People: Dane Cook

Dane Cook makes me laugh so hard that I fall out of my chair with tears in my eyes.

I discovered him accidentally, and got hooked immediately. I watched his HBO documentary-style TV show this summer. I've listened to mp3's from his two albums, and burned copies of them to CD for my friends. "I have to tell you," I told them, "This is the funniest comedian I have ever heard."

Last night I saw his new HBO special. An hour-and-a-half of all new material; a brilliant A-Z of love and life. It was a first for this style of comedy: The theater was "in the round" which required him to walk in a circle the whole time, addressing each side, running through the crowds, cameras chasing him at all angles.

It was an interesting concept. But the truth is, he doesn't need all the flash. He could stand in a garbage can with a hairbrush as his mircrophone, and a crowd of thousands would have to stop and listen.

Do what you got to do to get to hear him.

No comments: