Sunday, June 10, 2007

Movie: Flannel Pajamas

I had never heard of Justin Kirk or Julianne Nicholson before. But now that I've watched Flannel Pajamas, I will never forget those names. I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!

This was so beautiful, so achingly "real", such a sensitive script, such delicate acting performances. It's one of those movies that ends with a wish that these characters are really out there, living their lives, forever poetically living in the sky above New York City.

Kirk was AMAZING. So amazing. So handsome and classic. Nicholson was striking, and painfully personal. The story line made you think and question. The locations made you want to be there. The characters that surrounded them were unforgettable. What struck me most about this, is that there are warning signs everywhere about this relationship. As the viewer, you watch it, perplexed, wanting to scream out to the character, "Wait! Stop right there!" But when it comes to real relationships, it's the first 600 red flags that we usually tend to ignore. Which is what these naive people do. And ultimately, must face. Critics have written that they found that aspect annoying. I disagree. I think it's more like real life that any movie-love-story ever really successfully portrays.

You can bet I watched it two times in a row. And that in between watching it another time with the director's commentary (I was sick all weekend, what can I say?). I wish I owned this so I can watch it again.

It's the love story you were waiting for, pissed off about, yearning for, and trying to forget.

---

Director's Quotes: "[The film is] about the instant electricity between a couple on a first date and what happens over the next two years. It’s sexy, sad, comic and tragic in measures. It’s character-driven and dialogue-driven rather than story-driven — in its sensibility and style it’s a European film.”

No comments: