Sunday, June 10, 2007

Movie: Running On Empty

I was in my freshman dorm room, on the third floor. It was probably November 1, and Fall was setting in. It was late at night, and the window showed a black sky.

The message machine was blinking, and it was my mother's voice on the other end. "You need to call me," she said. Something sounded bad. I knew that tone.

I called home immediately, and my mother and my sister got on the line at the same time. "You need to sit down for this," my mother said.

"Why?"

"Really, sit," said my sister. So I sat.

"What happened?" I said, my heart beat quickening.

She paused. "River Phoenix died last night."

I'm sure they expected me to throw myself against my bed in convulsions, but to be honest, I was so relieved. The tension on the phone was so high I was certain they were going to tell me something had happened to my grandmother. So in that brief moment, I was at least able to tell the difference between the emotional reaction you access for the death of a loved one, and that reserved for the death of a celebrity.

However, at that time of my life, and for many years prior... many... I did love River Phoenix. I had his picture, torn out from magazines, all around my mirror. I read anything I could on him. Paparazzi then was an inch of what it is today, but I'm sure youtube would have gone crazy with cell phone footage that people would have of his death outside the Viper Room. But the famous story is that two photographers who were there actually held back from photographing him, out of respect, and tried to help instead by calling 911.

Last night I watched one of my favorite childhood movies, Running On Empty. To this day, I think this is absolutely one of the most beautiful films ever. I remember being profoundly affected by it in my teenage years. Who knew boys could be that sensitive! Movies in the 80's weren't always this character-driven, thoughtful, and quiet.

Because of this movie, I have always had a soft-spot for "Fire and Rain", the James Taylor song they all sing together in the kitchen. River acted with such tenderness and authenticity in all of his films, and especially this one. You can see his thoughts flash before his eyes, and emotions conveyed simply in the way he moves his hands. He is/was brilliant. Martha Plimpton was wonderful in this film too. They don't make young actresses like they used to.

Some things of note: The film was written by Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal's mother. I had no idea! And, it was filmed entirely in New Jersey. Who knew.

No comments: