Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Story: Letter #1

Dear You,

I got the mix tape. It wasn't what I expected, but then again, not much is nowadays. Though now that I think about it, now that I take pen to paper, I realize that you did, actually, leave me the least bit misty eyed with your rendition of Let My People Go on the didjeridoo. You knew that would get me, didn't you? You knew. You know me too well.

Ms. Finch asked about you again. She said, and I quote, "Nice weather we're having, isn't it?" and then she raised her penciled eyebrow at me. She's on to us. She's also got beautiful eyebrows. But whatever. I don't care anymore. I mean, we're adults. We hire people to pay our taxes for us. We hire people to walk our dogs and do our laundry. It's about time we got something of our own to hold on to, you know? I won't fight it anymore. I know, I know, you've heard me say that before. But this time I mean it.

I was going through some old things of mine in a drawer under my bed and I came across a letter you once wrote me, but never sent, but I found anyway and stole. There was a quote that stuck out for me. It said: And I quote, "The town where I grew up has a zip code of E-I-E-I-O." I can't make this stuff up.

Did you know Valerie Harper was born today? I think that's fitting.

Until next time, or sooner
Yours.

No comments: