Sunday, December 02, 2007

Movie: Angels In America

I hope you don't hate me for putting it this way, but Angels In America, as a film, is as monumentally defining of a epidemic as Schindler's List was. I know I'm about 5 years late in discovering this film, but I don't care if takes someone 80 years to see it, eventually we should all be an audience to this work of art. It's sheer brilliance.

I should change the name of this blog to the Official Justin Kirk Fan club, because if I loved him before, I bow to him now. His craft is tremendous. It stared with Flannel Pajamas, then Puccini For Beginners and now I'm a Weeds addict, all because of him. Plus, Mary Louise Parker shows up in Angels with him in some beautiful scenes, and in Weeds too.

Angels also stars Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, and Emma Thompson. Plus a lot of other names you'll want to start IMDBing as soon as the credits start rolling. Including Jeffrey Wright and Ben Shenkman. It's based on a play by Tony Kushner, and directed by Mike Nichols. It was originally on HBO and sweeped the awards seasons in 2003. It's about AIDS and relationships, and gayness in America, and religion, and family. It's total brilliance, captivating, unforgettable. Really, it's rare I think that a film can make that much of a difference in the world today. Everything has a shelf-life, you know? But this film. THIS film.

Everyone should see this.
Move it to top of your queue today.

No comments: