Sunday, August 13, 2006

CD: Joshua Radin / We Were Here

I was introduced to this new singer by none other than Zach Braff, who is widely known for his role on Scrubs, but less widely known for his grammy-winning choice selection of music, a la the Garden State soundtrack. That man sure knows how to pick 'em.

So for the longest while all I heard were the clips off of Radin's website. And I was captivated instantly. Then this week I finally got a hold of his newest CD, We Were Here. First I'll note that I loved the cover design. Then I'll note that I loved the music.

Think Nick Drake, but alive. Think Elliot Smith, but also alive. One has to wonder what it's like to be the female muse of these poetically tortured boys, but luckily it's great just to be a listener. Radin seems like a nice guy, and probably his happy ending will be by way of a grammy nod, not a tragic demise (re: Drake and Smith).

From beginning to end, this collection of music is dream-like and hypnotizing. It makes you want to take a deep breath and exhale slowly. It's so tightly connected, each song picking up where the last one left off.

I have to tell you, it made me believe in happy endings.

Listen to his song, "Winter", provided by the good folks at freemacmusic.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great album. The man has got talent.

(I don't mind if you link to my music, but be sure to give some credit to the site as well. http://www.freemacmusic.com )

"I have to tell you..." said...

sorry bout that. thanks for the reminder and the comment.

credit added!