Monday, August 28, 2006

Website: Threadless

Oh, Threadless, how did I miss you?

I admit, I knew you existed. Like the nerdy kid in the back of the classroom, I gave you a once-over but rashly assumed we would not be friends. I should have sat at your lunch table and offered you an Oreo cookie in exchange for your carrot, because you are oh so much more than meets the eye.

Threadless.com is a "design it yourself" t-shirt company, online. It differs from cafepress in that not just *anybody* can submit and print a design. There are no "i heart my mom" t-shirts on threadless. And there are no aprons either.

Instead it's just real people, with real ideas, about real design. Some of the work is gorgeous; not just to wear, but to be inspired by. Once a design is submitted, it goes before a panel of internal judges, who decide whether the design is worthy enough to go before the public. And then once in front of the public, it goes through another voting process - scores of 1 to 5 are entered, and people post comments for improvements and critiques. At the end of the month (or so), the panel selects the top-voted designs, and turns those into buy-able t-shirts. The designer gets 2 grand. You get to look good.

Over the past few nights I've submitted around 10 designs. With each one I get better at it. I find out in 4-8 days if any of my designs get past the judges and land safely into the hands of the public. You better vote for me if I do.

Sometimes I get hooked on a new artistic endeavor and I just cannot quit until I've exhausted all my ideas. I have to tell you, this is one of those times. A sort of manic production house has opened in my mind, and I'm churning these visions out like Monday morning coffee.

(This particular rainbow design is my favorite. It was designed by Rinzen. It's available for sale here.)

No comments: