Thursday, August 24, 2006

Music: John Mayer First Listen

I am not writing a review of John Mayer. I'm saving that for Sept.12, the official launch date of the new album. After I listen to it 1,000 times in a 24-hour time period, then I'll tell you all about it.

In the meantime however, I have to tell you about last night's online extravaganza, First Listen. What is that? What a good question, I'll tell you...

No wait, scratch that. I'll let John tell you:

Isn't it strange how these days, the last thing you hear by a band is their record? You hear the live acoustic performances, the "bonus content", the late night TV appearances - but sometimes you've had enough before you even make it to the one piece of work...

Not this boy. I want you to hear my new music the old fashioned way.

On the radio.

Wednesday, August 23, on STAR 98.7 in Los Angeles, I'll be DJing my ENTIRE ALBUM, front to back. A week later, the record will be made available on other radio stations.

Remember when you used to tape the radio? No? Well I used to. It was fun.

I just want you to hear my music. Is that so wrong?

Did you get all that?

I used to tape the radio. When I couldn't sleep at night I would lay my head next to my "box" (re: small, black radio with a handle, two speakers, two tape decks and AM/FM radio). When I would hear a song I liked, I'd quickly press Record. After a few weeks, I'd have a new "mix tape". Of course, each song was cut off slightly in the beginning, and ended with a wild segue into the station name callout. Unavoidable side affects to radio taping, but not something I saw as a detriment. Free music, man!

Once in a while I'd listen to a particular song so many times that I'd pool together my $7.00 and go out and buy the cassette tape. One such time that was Richard Marx. The song was Right Here Waiting. I ran out and bought "the album" and finally got to hear the first 10 seconds and last 10 seconds I had missed out on all these weeks. That was my technology. Richard Marx did not DJ his whole album on the radio.

But John did. First Listen was a great first listen. Some of the songs I had already heard acoustic versions of, some I had never heard at all. But I'm not going to re-listen to the DJ sessions until I get the official album in my hands. Then I'll write my official review and tell you what I really think (or can you already guess?).

However, you can listen! Click here to preview the new album.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, John Mayer == teh hotness. Gawd.