Sunday, November 18, 2007

Art: Artists & Fleas

Today I was at "Artists & Fleas" -- an amazing flea market for artists in Bklyn. It took my breath away as soon as I walked in. This garage-turned-market is filled corner to corner with fantastic, one-of-a-kind artisan wares -- mostly jewelery and t-shirts, but also books, records, and vintage clothes. There's even a DJ mixing the best beats while you shop (if you can even imagine the type of music you'd want to hear at an artist's flea market, then that's exactly what he was playing).

What's most important to note here, is how NICE everyone was. These are working artists, who are genuinely passionate about their crafts and eager for you to try them on, touch them, and ask questions (most of the artists also sell their work on etsy.com).

The place has such a great ambiance and flavor to it. I looked at everything and my eyes lit up every time I heard the stories behind the crafts. Like, "Oh, those earrings are made from old pennies covered in found paper." Or, "I found the centerpieces for the necklaces in an old button store." Or, "my mom just showed me a whole box of jewelery she had from the 80's, big gaudy rings that I can take apart. But not this piece. This one I'm keeping." Or, "yes, my husband and I designed all these pieces together. The necklaces are only $10." Or, "sure, we take credit cards!"

I went home with the first piece of jewelery I spotted as soon as I walked in the store. My friend told me I gravitated towards it so quickly, that I needed to get it. So now it's around my neck. And it has wings. I can't tell you how much I love it.

"Artists & Fleas" is located at 129 N. 6th between Bedford & Berry.
Williamsburg, Brooklyn
open EVERY Saturday & Sunday from 12-8pm
Website

No comments: