Sunday, November 04, 2007

Movie: Knocked Up

Ohhh, how hard it was not to hang around the water cooler when everyone started talking about this movie. Because for some reason, it took me forever to see it. But sometimes the perk of waiting for the DVD to come out is knowing that you're going to get to see the movie AND the bloopers all in one night. And who doesn't want to see the bloopers, especially with a movie like this?

Can I tell you? Can I just tell you? I LOVED this movie! I was told I would love it. And if you are one of the people who said I would love this movie [insert Ed McMahon voice]... YOU are correct, sir!

I loved it because it was funny and endearing and Seth Rogen is wicked cute. I loved it because it was filled with lots of hilarious, undersexed, overweight Jewish boys. I loved it because the women acted like women when they were around one another. I loved it because of some really great comedic actors who made poignant cameo appearances (hello Kristen Wiig). I loved it because everyone was redeemable. I loved it because it had a great soundtrack. I loved it because I had someone to root for in what first appeared to be a most unfavorable scenario.

Look, I've read the article that bashes this movie. I get the feminism argument. I hear ya and I see your point. But can we not talk about a woman's right to do whatever she wants for a moment? Instead, can we talk about why MEN are writing all these funny movies right now? And why the context is always about nerdy boys who get the hot girls? And why WOMEN are not writing all these funny movies about nerdy girls who get the hot boys without getting a makeover? Let's make the argument for or against this movie not about the lack of depth our female heroine displayed or the degree to which her hair was blond or her lips pouted. Let's raise the point that WOMEN are not writing jokes and it's about time we did!

The men in this movie were very, very funny. And the women made really great grossed-out faces when the men told their jokes. However, if you take the time to watch the out-takes and the bloopers on the DVD, you'll notice that there are a lot of outtakes where the female actresses are "out of character" and are actually making funny jokes. But for reason, that's not the way the MALES wrote the script. So, as soon as they gain their composure in front of the camera, they revert back to "girl makes gross face after guy tells fart joke".

Come on, people! I know some very funny women who tell some very funny fart jokes. And I would like someone.... No, wait... some WOMAN to write a funny mainstream movie like this. Newsflash: Girls who don't wear mascara to bed and don't try out for the cheer leading squad actually are worth writing a movie about. And no, I don't mean "Welcome to the Dollhouse", or "Mean Girls". Because even in "Mean Girls", eventually, her skirt gets shorter.

How about a movie about a girl who stays just the way she is, and she gets the boy who really comes to appreciate her for that. AND, I promise, someone can fart along the way.

No comments: